Rady Children’s Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, part of the Heart Institute, performs about 500 surgeries a year, exclusively for the treatment of congenital heart defects. Our outcomes are among the best in the nation.
Complemented by leading programs in pediatric electrophysiology, interventional cardiology, prenatal/pediatric cardiac diagnostics and affiliated high-risk obstetrics, the Division provides an integrated approach to the treatment of the full spectrum of complex congenital heart problems in newborns to adults.
Our highly skilled surgeons use advanced surgical strategies and techniques – including hybrid procedures – to achieve optimal outcomes and to make the surgery as safe as possible.
Areas of special concentration include:
- Surgical treatment of complex newborn heart defects, such as hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
- Heart transplant surgery for children with symptoms of heart failure.
- Complex reconstructive surgery in previously operated on children or adults.
- Integration of catheter-based therapies with surgery to reduce risk.
- Integration of advanced electrophysiologic testing, arrhythmia ablation and surgery.
- Minimally invasive and cosmetic approaches to open heart surgery, when appropriate.
We also have a state-of-the-art Acute Cardiac Unit, which brings a new level of care for cardiac and cardiovascular surgery patients requiring specialized services.
Along with providing expert surgical care, we participate in evidence-based research through Rady Children’s Heart Institute. Through this research, we seek to advance the field of pediatric cardiovascular surgery.
- First in San Diego to have a 3-D Heart Modeling Program.
- Successfully performed Rady Children’s first heart transplant on Jan. 14, 2015. Read more.
- Participates in multiple clinical and basic research projects designed to evaluate and treat complex forms of congenital heart disease.
- Named a California Children’s Services (CCS)-designated Center of Excellence, based on meeting strict quality outcomes criteria.
Video: Dr. John J. Nigro discusses our nationally recognized Cardiovascular Surgery program
In the News
- Pediatric Surgeons Use 3D Printing to Help With Complex Operations, kpbs.org, features John Nigro, M.D., and Justin Ryan, Ph.D.
- Make-A-Wish Moment: A Boy’s Heartfelt Wish to Visit the Doctors Who Saved His Life, cbs8.com
- Gift That Marks the End of One Baby’s Life, Saves Another, 10news.com, features John Nigro, M.D.
- Patients and Doctors Reconnect at Rady Children’s Heart Party, cbs8.com, features Raghav Murthy and John Nigro, M.D.
- Seven Steps to Keep Your Children’s Heart Healthy, kusi.com, features Rakesh Singh, M.D.
- Now You Can Really Hold Your Heart in Your Hands, cbs8.com, features Christopher Davis, M.D., Ph.D., Sanjeet Hegde, M.D., Ph.D., John Nigro, M.D.
- Story About a Young Boy’s Heart Is Sure to Touch Yours, cbs8.com, features John Nigro, M.D., and Adriana Tremoulet, M.D.
- During ‘Heart Week,’ Cardiac Experts Fly In to Take Care of Isle Kids, hawaiinewsnow.com
- Patients Share Heart Operation Stories at Rady Children’s Hospital, Times of San Diego
- Rady Children’s Hospital First to Use 3D Heart Printing in San Diego, Fox 5 San Diego, features Sanjeet Hegde, M.D.
- Woman Travels Across Country to Meet Lifesaving Doctor, yourerie.com
- American Heart Association Presents the Heart Ignite Award, San Diego Magazine
- Baby Makes History With Heart Transplant, Fox 5 San Diego
- 2 Twins, 2 Hearts in Two Months, U-T San Diego
- Rady Site of Second Pediatric Heart Transplant, SD News
- Child Heart Transplant a San Diego First, U-T San Diego
- 11-Year-Old Heart Transplant Patient, 1st in San Diego, Goes Home, Times of San Diego
- Rady Children’s Doctors Perform Hospital’s First Pediatric Heart Transplant, Transplant Families
- 11-Year-Old Boy Undergoes First SD Pediatric Heart Transplant, SD News
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. To make a donation, click here.