New! August Recalls
February 18, 2022
Safety Concern Regarding Abbott Formula
The Food and Drug Administration is advising consumers not to use certain powdered formulas due to risk of contamination at an Abbott Nutrition manufacturing facility. Products involved include certain lots of Similac, Alimentum, Elecare Infant/ Elecare Junior powdered formulas, and powdered human milk fortifier (HMF). The recall does not include all Similac products, see below.
What Do You Need To Do?
Know The Symptoms
Look for signs of fever, poor feeding, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in stool, more fussiness or crying than usual, or lower energy than usual.
Parents and caregivers who notice these symptoms are being encouraged to contact their child’s care provider
Identify Affected Products
The specific powdered formulas not to use are Similac, Alimentum, or Elecare Infant/Elecare Jr. if the following information is on the container:
- The first two digits of the code are 22 through 37;
- the code on the container contains K8, SH, or Z2;
- and the product has an expiration date of April 1, 2022 (APR 2022) or later.
- Look for code on bottom of packaging near the expiration date.
- Additional Resources
- FDA recall on certain powdered formulas
- CDC info on Cronobacter Infection and Infants
- CDC info on Cronobacter Infection and Infants Spanish Version
- Abbott News Release