COVID Collaborative for Children
Welcome to the COVID Collaborative for Children. Our goal is to provide testing for COVID-19 to the children in San Diego County and their families. Our priority testing is for anyone who is symptomatic and may have COVID. Testing for these individuals has a more rapid turnaround time.
How to Get Results
Results are available within 48-72 hours after your sample has been collected. You will only receive a phone call if your test result is positive. All results are available through MyChart. If you are a non-Rady Children’s patient, you will receive a link to sign up for MyChart. If you do not receive a link for MyChart within 48-72 hours after submitting your online registration, please call the Pediatric Nurse Advice Line:
Pediatric Nurse Advice Line: 858-966-8399
8 a.m.-8 p.m., seven days a week
How to Get Tested
Please complete our online registration form (see instructions below) and print the form or bring your Record ID with you on the day of testing. A Rady Children’s representative will contact you to schedule an appointment within 48 hours, Monday-Friday. If there is an urgent need for testing, email email@example.com or call 858-966-6776.
- Please complete COVID Testing Registration.
- When you receive an email to sign up for MyChart, please follow the prompts to receive results (if they are negative). Positive results will be called to the phone number you provided at registration.
How the Test is Performed
This test is performed using a small swab in both sides of the nose, which is a quick and painless procedure.
Where the Test is Performed
- Rady Children’s patients (and their parent) who have an appointment with their primary care office or at a clinic will be offered a COVID-19 PCR test.
- Rady Children’s patients who don’t have an appointment with their primary care office or at a Rady Children’s-affiliated clinic may be tested at a drive-up tent by appointment only. The COVID Drive-Up Tent is located on the Main Hospital Campus at Bldg. 28, San Diego, 92123. See hours and directions below.
- Non-Rady Children’s patients may be tested at the drive-up tent by appointment only. The COVID Drive-Up Tent is located on the Main Hospital Campus at Bldg. 28, San Diego, 92123. See hours and directions below.
COVID-19 Diagnostic Testing (COVID Drive-Up Tent, By appointment only)
Hours: Monday-Sunday: 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
Address: Bldg. 28, San Diego, 92123
Directions: When using Google Maps, type in Building 28 parking lot and the site will direct the user to the exact location. (This will only work when using Google maps and not a different platform.)
Why the Collaborative is Needed
Widespread, continuous testing for COVID-19 is crucial to understanding how to protect the children of San Diego County from the virus and being proactive in identifying an outbreak or surge early. This will not only help the community in getting though the pandemic but will assist in the efforts to open businesses and schools.
Rady Children’s Employees and Physicians
Employees and physicians requesting testing due to exposure or symptoms need to call Occupational Health and Safety (ext. 225865) or Infection Control (ext. 228874).
Monthly or personal testing requests for employees and for physicians and their families require completion of the Non-Patient COVID Testing Requisition online form and signing up for MyChart.
Community Physician Referral Process
- All patients and families must pre-register at COVID Testing Registration. They will need to bring a copy of the completed form or Record ID.
- A Rady Children’s representative will call them to schedule an appointment within 48 hours, Monday-Friday.
- Your patients and their families will receive an email to sign up for MyChart. This will allow them to get results quickly. Positive reports will be called in when resulted, and negative results will only be sent to MyChart for review.
- If you would like your patient’s COVID-19 results sent to you:
Please fax a copy of your order to 858-966-6707.
Note: The order must include information on where to send the results.
For more information on the collaborative, email firstname.lastname@example.org.