All meetings are monthly unless noted otherwise.
- PEM Division Meeting: This monthly meeting of all attending physicians, intermediate care physicians, nursing leadership, and fellows addresses administrative, financial, and operational issues pertaining to the division of emergency medicine at Rady Children’s.
- Research Conference: This conference is devoted to the presentation of proposed research projects, updates on ongoing projects, and research being done in our department by other specialists. The fellow assigned to this conference will be responsible for a formal presentation of his/her research. Additionally, there will be didactic presentations on research-related topics as part of a comprehensive research methodology curriculum.
- EM Morbidity and Mortality Conference/Quality Improvement Conference: This monthly conference is devoted to reviewing cases with unexpected outcomes, possible diagnostic or management errors as identified by our staff or other specialties, and all deaths. It is attended by the RCHSD EM faculty, the ED nurse managers, and invited subspecialists. The PEM fellow will be assigned to review cases along with other faculty.
- EM / Radiology Case Conference: A log of interesting cases is generated in the ED by the faculty and fellows. Each month these cases are reviewed by the emergency physicians and the pediatric radiology staff.
- EM / Child Protection Case Review (quarterly): Every child abuse case that presents to the ED is reviewed by the PEM faculty and fellows with faculty representatives from the child protection team.
- EM / Behavioral Case Review (quarterly): This is a joint conference with faculty from the Division of Child Psychiatry
- Faculty Development Series (quarterly): During this conference, experts from within the division and the School of Medicine will present faculty development topics to both the faculty and fellows.
- Fellow Simulation Session: These monthly sessions will occur in the ED using the division’s high-fidelity pediatric patient simulator.
- Fellows Case Conference: The PEM fellow assigned to this conference will present an interesting patient and review of the recent literature.
- PEM Attending Seminar Series: A pediatric emergency medicine faculty member will lead an interactive session with the fellows, emphasizing hands-on education and case-based discussions.
- Core Content Review: The fellows and faculty will use the Textbook of Pediatric Emergency Medicine and the Pediatric Emergency Medicine Question Book Review Book to systematically review the entire pediatric emergency medicine core curriculum in two years.
- Ultrasound Conference: The pediatric emergency medicine faculty will lead didactic sessions and review ultrasound images with the fellows and faculty
- Critical Analysis Conference: Using the JAMA User’s Guide to the Medical Literature series, the fellow will learn how to interpret the medical literature and apply these skills to PEM articles.
- Trauma Morbidity and Mortality Conference: This multi-disciplinary conference reviews the trauma care given through the Emergency Department and hospital. All subspecialists that provide trauma care participate in this conference. Representatives from trauma surgery, anesthesiology, critical care, neurosurgery, orthopedics, urology, radiology, child protection, emergency medicine, and the medical examiner’s office attend this conference.
- Fellowship Program Meeting: This monthly meeting is a forum where the fellowship directors, program coordinator, and fellows discuss various programmatic issues.