Recent media coverage of COVID-19 has focused on a rare condition called pediatric multisymptom inflammatory syndrome that is similar in some ways to Kawasaki disease. Rady Children’s Kawasaki disease experts Jane Burns, M.D., and Adriana Tremoulet, M.D., M.A.S., have conducted more than 70 interviews about the syndrome with news media around the world. Learn about our MIS-C Clinic.
The Kawasaki Disease Clinic at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego is dedicated to caring for kids with acute Kawasaki disease. The Children’s Kawasaki Disease Clinic follows the health status of more than 1,300 children with the disease in San Diego. At Rady Children’s, 80 to 90 new patients with Kawasaki disease are treated each year by healthcare professionals.
The Clinic is directed by Jane Burns, M.D., who is internationally known for her research on the disease. In 2010, she received the Pioneer Award for Kawasaki Disease Research from the Kawasaki Disease Foundation. Dr. Burns, along with Adriana Tremoulet, M.D., M.A.S., specializes in the treatment of Kawasaki disease and provides expert care.
While not known to be an infectious disease, children at the Kawasaki disease program might experience additional health issues, including high fevers and inflammation of blood vessels.
As long-term complications may result from Kawasaki disease, such as damage to the coronary arteries, and other heart problems and complications, healthcare professionals at the Clinic see patients periodically to check their hearts. This is done at the Kawasaki disease clinic using highly advanced, non-invasive imaging technology, such as low-radiation CT (computerized tomography).
Cutting-edge research is conducted at the Kawasaki Disease Research Center, a collaboration among Rady Children’s, the University of California, San Diego and the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. The Center works with researchers throughout the United States and in Japan to advance the understanding of the mysterious disease, and how it affects children. Along with supporting clinical, laboratory, and epidemiologic investigation into the etiology, pathophysiology, and history of the disease, the Center serves to foster excellence in patient care.
Hours of Operation: The Kawasaki Disease Clinic is held each Wednesday in the Cardiology Clinic. A healthcare provider/physician is available 24 hours a day for physician-to-physician consultations for suspected acute cases.
Video: Dr. Jane Burns discusses the Kawasaki Disease Clinic
In the News
- Adriana Tremoulet, M.D., M.A.S., was among the recipients of UC San Diego School of Medicine’s 2020 Faculty Excellence in Mentoring Awards, which recognizes faculty for their outstanding contributions to inclusive mentoring of junior faculty and future leaders in academic medicine.
- NIH Funds Eight Studies to Uncover Risk Factors for COVID-19-related Inflammatory Syndrome in Children, nih.gov, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Doctors Seeing an Increase in COVID-related Illness MIS-C in Children, cbs8.com, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Kawasaki Disease Is Not a Homogenous Disease Nor Are Its Triggers, ScienceDaily, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- The Hunt to Understand COVID-19’s Connection to Kawasaki Disease, time.com, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Rady Re-Evaluating Recent Kawasaki Cases for New Pediatric Illness Tied to Coronavirus, kpbs.com, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Researcher: Kawasaki Disease Spike In San Diego Likely Tied To Aerosol Particles, kpbs.com, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Kawasaki Disease Cases Increasing in San Diego County, KFMB Channel 8, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Environmental Factors May Influence Kawasaki Disease Incidence, Healio, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Kawasaki Disease: One Disease, Multiple Triggers, Science Daily, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Researchers Identify Potential Diagnostic Test for Kawasaki Disease, JAMA Pediatrics, features Jane Burns, M.D. (News Release)
- Story About a Young Boy’s Heart Is Sure to Touch Yours, cbs8.com, features John Nigro, M.D., and Adriana Tremoulet, M.D.
- Hunting the Mysterious Source of a Global Illness, Science News for Students, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Kawasaki Disease: Rare Children’s Heart Condition Linked to Interplay of Fungi and Gene Mutations, bioportfolio.com, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Center Hopes to Speed Health Advances from Lab to Patients, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Adriana Tremoulet, M.D.
- Kawasaki Disease: Know How to Spot Signs of Serious Illness, Urges Mum, Bournemouth Echo, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Rady Children’s Receives Grant for Kawasaki Disease Research, San Diego Union-Tribune, features Kawasaki Disease Research Center and Jane Burns, M.D.
- The Mystery of Kawasaki Disease and the Quest for a Cure, Toronto Star, features Jane Burns, M.D.
- Study: China Winds Linked to Kawasaki Disease, U-T San Diego, features Jane Burns, M.D.