Requesting Copies of Your Child’s Medical Records
Requests for your child’s medical records must be made in writing. Please follow the steps below:
- Complete and print the Authorization to Release Medical Information form. (English/Español)
- Sign and print the Policy for Obtaining Copies of Patient Records form. (English/Español)
- Mail your completed forms to:
Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego
Health Information Department - Release of Information
3020 Children’s Way, MC 5049
San Diego, California 92123-4282
If you do not have access to a computer, you may stop by our office (5855 Copley Drive, Suite 101, San Diego) to fill out the release or call 858-966-5904 to request that a copy be mailed to you.
Records can be released to anyone who the patient or legal guardian authorizes (in writing) to receive such information. A valid authorization MUST contain the following information or the request will be returned:
- Patient’s full name and date of birth. Specific information being requested (i.e., type of report/information and dates of service, etc.)
- Purpose for which the information may be disclosed (i.e., personal use, continuity of care, legal matter)
- To whom the information is to be sent (name and address)
- Specify authorization’s expiration date if desired (otherwise, the authorization will be valid six months from date signed)
- The patient’s signature or a patient’s legal representative’s signature.
- Date of the signature
Please note that unsigned requests will not be processed. Requests for medical records of deceased patients require a copy of the death certificate or evidence of next of kin or executorship of the estate. Please make sure all areas are filled out completely and correctly. Incomplete releases will be returned for correction.
For Requesting Medical Records Only (not picking up):
On-Campus Service Center:
Rose Pavilion, 1st floor
3020 Children’s Way
San Diego, CA 92123