A new idea. A different approach. A better solution. From the research lab to the bedside, Rady Children’s brings a passion for innovation to every moment, always striving for excellence, always seeking to advance. Never forgetting that kids come first.
Peter Newton, M.D., an internationally recognized leader in pediatric spinal conditions, directs the Scoliosis Service at Rady Children’s Spine Center. Patients from around the world come for treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, neuromuscular scoliosis, congenital scoliosis and failed prior surgery for scoliosis. Along with providing the most advanced treatments, the Spine Center uses the latest technology for diagnosis and treatment planning, including the EOS Orthopedic Imaging System. This ultra-low-dose X-ray system provides high-quality 2D and 3D images while significantly reducing radiation exposure. Learn more in the video below.
Video: State-of-the-art Spinal Imaging
Innovations in Care
- CAR T-cell Therapy, a groundbreaking treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia that is refractory (resistant to treatment) or in second or later relapse.
- 360 Sports Medicine, the only program serving San Diego and Imperial counties to provide 360 degrees of care — from preventing and treating injuries to helping improve the performance of young athletes.
- A state-of-the-art Orthopedics & Scoliosis Center and a new Rehabilitation Medicine Center in one central location, under one roof, allowing for seamless care.
- Heart transplant surgery and an Acute Cardiac Unit, providing specialized care for heart patients after surgery and other heart procedures.
- The only child and adolescent medical/behavioral inpatient unit in San Diego, which cares for patients with eating disorders and other medical conditions accompanied by behavioral or psychological problems.
- An Autism Discovery Institute, providing comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services, as well as Alexa’s PLAYC, a unique early education program.
- The Neuro-NICU Program, one of the first in the country to provide the highest level of specialized care for neonates at risk for neurological injury.
Innovations in Technology
- 3D Innovations Lab, creating 3D models and prints of hearts, spines and other anatomy to aid in surgical planning .
- Minimally invasive epilepsy surgery and other neurosurgical procedures using ROSA, a highly advanced surgical robot assistant.
- Proton therapy (through a partnership with Scripps Health), a highly advanced treatment that targets brain, spinal cord and others cancers with incredible precision.
- The EOS orthopedic imaging machine, which produces 3D images of the spine with significantly less radiation than standard X-rays.
- Telemedicine robots that allow doctors to examine patients from anywhere.
- A kid-friendly MRI machine that enables children to watch a movie during the exam.
Innovations in Research
- Research by our Allergy/Immunology and Gastroenterology Divisions that has led to the development of a novel treatment for eosinophilic esophagitis, a painful throat disorder.
- Advanced stem cell research for diabetes and pediatric liver disease.
- Rapid whole genome sequencing to identify diseases and provide personalized therapies. Learn about the Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine.
- More than 900 active research studies by more than 200 investigators. Check out our cutting-edge research.
It’s about saving lives … in our region, across the country and around the world.