A new idea. A different approach. A better solution. From the research lab to the bedside, Rady Children’s brings a passion for innovation to every moment, always striving for excellence, always seeking to advance. Never forgetting that kids come first.
3-D Printed Heart Models
Through our Heart Institute, Rady Children’s Hospital is the first hospital in San Diego to have a 3-D Heart Modeling Program. Using 3-D printing technology, a physician can go from evaluating an image of a patient’s heart on a screen to holding a lifelike model of it in his hands. This not only allows physicians to visualize the heart’s anatomy in ways never before possible, but gives them a powerful education and teaching tool.
Video: Learn more how this amazing technology helps patients with heart disease.
Innovations in Care
- 360 Sports Medicine, the only program serving San Diego and Imperial counties to provide 360 degrees of care — from preventing and treating injuries to helping improve the performance of young athletes.
- A state-of-the-art Orthopedics & Scoliosis Center and a new Rehabilitation Medicine Center in one central location, under one roof, allowing for seamless care.
- Heart transplant surgery and an Acute Cardiac Unit, providing specialized care for heart patients after surgery and other heart procedures.
- The only child and adolescent medical/behavioral inpatient unit in San Diego, which cares for patients with eating disorders and other medical conditions accompanied by behavioral or psychological problems.
- An Autism Discovery Institute, providing comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services, as well as Alexa’s PLAYC, a unique early education program.
- The Neuro-NICU Program, one of the first in the country to provide the highest level of specialized care for neonates at risk for neurological injury.
Innovations in Technology
- Minimally invasive epilepsy surgery and other neurosurgical procedures using ROSA, a highly advanced surgical robot assistant.
- The only 3-D Heart Modeling Program in San Diego, which helps physicians to plan complex surgeries and educate parents about their child’s heart condition.
- Proton therapy (through a partnership with Scripps Health), a highly advanced treatment that targets brain, spinal cord and others cancers with incredible precision.
- The EOS orthopedic imaging machine, which produces 3-D images of the spine with significantly less radiation than standard X-rays.
- Telemedicine robots that allow doctors to examine patients from anywhere.
- A kid-friendly MRI machine that enables children to watch a movie during the exam.
Innovations in Research
- Research by our Allergy/Immunology and Gastroenterology Divisions that has led to the development of a novel treatment for eosinophilic esophagitis, a painful throat disorder.
- Advanced stem cell research for diabetes and pediatric liver disease.
- Rapid whole genome sequencing to identify diseases and provide personalized therapies. Learn about the Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine.
- More than 600 active research studies by more than 150 investigators. Check out our cutting-edge research.
It’s about saving lives … in our region, across the country and around the world.