The Orthopedics & Scoliosis Center focuses on the unique musculoskeletal needs of growing children and adolescents. Expert care is provided by the Division of Orthopedics & Scoliosis of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego. Our renowned orthopedic specialists treat the full range of orthopedic disorders and conditions, including traumatic injuries.
For the seventh consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranks our Orthopedics program among the nation’s best in its “Best Children’s Hospitals” edition. We’re #2 in the country!
At our state-of-the-art facility, all orthopedic and rehabilitation medicine services are in one central location, under one roof: the 20,000-square-foot space houses 34 exam rooms, two cast rooms, kid-friendly X-ray suites, the EOS ultra-low-dose orthopedic imaging system, a rehabilitation assessment room and a spacious reception area.
As part of our comprehensive services, we offer various specialty programs and clinics, including the Spine Center, International Center for Hip Disorders, Cerebral Palsy Center, and 360 Sports Medicine. For our full list of clinics and programs, click here.
Our center is also a leader in innovative and cutting-edge research. Clinical studies are conducted on site at the Motion Analysis Laboratory. And research investigating common congenital deformities of the spine and complex joints — while exploring novel methods of fracture fixation and surgical correction — occurs at the Orthopedic Biomechanics Research Center.
- Dennis Wenger, M.D., is the recipient of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA) 2016 Distinguished Achievement Award, given to a surgeon who has made important contributions to the field of children’s orthopedics.
- Salil Upasani, M.D., is the recipient of the POSNA 2016 St. Giles Young Investigators Award, given to a leading young researcher in the field of pediatric orthopedics.
- The Center is a leader in spinal growth tethering surgery, a new procedure to correct scoliosis.
- The Center was first in the nation to implant magnetic growing rods in scoliosis patients. Read the news release and story in U-T San Diego.
- The Center was the first pediatric program in the nation to install a groundbreaking orthopedic imaging system. Learn about the EOS.
- The Center has more orthopedic specialists than any pediatric orthopedics program in California.
- The Center trains the best and brightest physicians through its Pediatric Orthopedics and Scoliosis Fellowship.
In the News
- EOS Receives FDA Approval for Online 3-D Imaging Software, Spine EOS, DOTmed, features Peter Newton, M.D.
- Little League Players and Big League Injuries, cbs8.com, features Andrew Pennock, M.D.
- Local Teen Helps to Provide Service Dogs to Patients, sandiego6.com, features Scott Mubarak, M.D.
- Rady Children’s Ranked Among Nations Best in All 10 Specialties; #2 in Orthopedics, San Diego Union-Tribune, features Dennis Wenger, M.D., Scott Mubarak, M.D., and Peter Newton, M.D.
- Top Pediatric Orthopedic Hospital Installs EOS Imaging, Business Wire, features Peter Newton, M.D.
- Spinal System Receives FDA Approval, Today’s Medical Developments, features Burt Yaszay, M.D.
- Stair Falls: Caregiver’s “Missed Step” as a Source of Childhood Fractures, Journal of Children’s Orthopaedics, features Andrew Pennock, M.D., and Scott Mubarak, M.D.
- San Diego Tries New Scoliosis Treatment on 2 Boys, U-T San Diego, features Burt Yaszay, M.D.
- Weighing the Treatment Options for Scoliosis, The Wall Street Journal, features Peter Newton, M.D.
Video: Learn why our Orthopedics & Scoliosis program ranks #2 in the nation
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. To make a donation, click here.