Facts and Figures
In fiscal year 2019,* Rady Children’s Hospital:
- Provided care to 245,850 children.
- Had 20,277 inpatient admissions.
- Had 274,526 outpatient visits.
- Provided care to 822 trauma patients. (CY 2018)
- Had 96,006 emergency care visits and 56,713 urgent care visits.
- Performed 20,152 surgeries.
- Performed 332 heart surgeries and attended to 33,851 outpatient visits at our cardiology clinics. To date, we have performed 25 heart transplants. More on our Heart Institute.
- Cared for 258 newly diagnosed cancer patients, attended to 16,063 outpatient visits and performed 27 blood and marrow transplants at our Peckham Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders.
- Provided trauma counseling to 589 children and parents at our Chadwick Center for Children & Families.
- Evaluated 381 children for autism spectrum disorders, and 111 children were seen for an intervention. More on our Autism Discovery Institute.
- Had 67,086 visits to our orthopedic and rehabilitation clinics, including the 360 Sports Medicine program. More on our Orthopedics & Scoliosis Center.
Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine
On July 20, 2018, Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine sequenced over 1,000 patient and family genomes!
As a result of the findings:
- 35 percent of patients sequenced received a diagnosis.
- 70 percent saw a change in their care plan.
More to Know:
- Rady Children’s 43-bed Helen Bernardy Center is the only pediatric skilled nursing facility in California. In a home-like environment, medically fragile and developmentally disabled children receive round-the-clock care.
- Rady Children’s Canine Care Program has nearly 30 volunteer dogs. Dogs and their handlers are on Rady Children’s campus five days a week throughout the year.
- The Ronald McDonald House, adjacent to Rady Children’s, is available to families whose children are undergoing tests or treatment.
- Patients at Rady Children’s use more than 2,900 crutches each year.
- Each year, about 127,000 intravenous (IV) sets are used at Rady Children’s.
- Rady Children’s gives out more than 21,000 popsicles a year to patients.
- Rady Children’s playrooms go through about 9,900 packs of crayons a year.
- Rady Children’s gives out about 280,000 Bandaids.
- Rady Children’s uses more than 1.6 million pounds of linen (sheets, pillowcases, towels) each year.
- Rady Children’s uses about 880,000 diapers each year.
- Rady Children’s uses about 131,000 oxisensors each year.
- Rady Children’s uses nearly 12 million exam gloves each year.
- Rady Children’s has gowns to fit all sizes, from infants and children to teenagers.
- A blood pressure cuff for a preemie’s tiny arm is about the size of an adult’s finger.
*July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019