** We’re Moving! Starting on Jan. 22, 2018, we will be seeing patients in our new location at the Medical Office Building, 4th Floor, North. **
The Division of Endocrinology/Diabetes provides the most advanced care for children and adolescents with endocrine disorders, diabetes mellitus and lipid disorders. We are also a leader in diabetes research, dedicated to discovering new therapies and ultimately, a cure. Expert care is provided by the endocrinologists of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego.
Along with treating type 1 diabetes, we treat a growing number of obese children and adolescents who develop type 2 diabetes. We also treat less common types of diabetes, such as maturity-onset diabetes of the young, as well as hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Additionally, we treat conditions of the endocrine glands, including thyroid disease, adrenal disorders, pubertal disorders, growth problems, calcium disorders, and metabolic bone disease.
- Offers a comprehensive diabetes program to help children and families manage the disease, including continuous glucose monitoring, insulin pump therapy, nutrition counseling and diabetes education.
- Treats about 1,400 children with diabetes from San Diego, Riverside and Imperial counties; about 75 percent of these patients have type 1 diabetes.
- Is nationally recognized for research on diabetes and beta-cell biology.
- Is consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the best pediatric diabetes and endocrinology programs in the nation.
- Offers a Gender Management (GeM) Clinic for children and teens with gender dysphoria (a conflict between their biological sex and gender identity)
Video: Learn why our Diabetes & Endocrinology program ranks among the nation’s best
In the News
- Diabetes Awareness Month, kusi.com, features Jane Kim, M.D.
- Adolescente y con diabetes tipo 1: la vida de Leslie, www.telemundo20.com, features Marcela Vargas, M.D.
- Predicting Hypocalcemia in Children Following Thyroidectomy: Is PTH Useful?, Endocrinology Advisor, features Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.
- FDA Approves Triptodur for Treatment of Early Puberty, Rare Disease Report, features Karen Klein, M.D.
- Patients with Type 1 Diabetes May Need to Check Ketones More Often, Reuters, features Michael Gottschalk, M.D., Ph.D.
- Rady Children’s Hospital en San Diego Busca a Niños Alérgicos a la Leche de Vaca, Para Estudio, El Latino Online, features Stephanie Leonard, M.D.
- A Transgender Teen’s Journey, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Specific Mutations Vary by Race, Age in Pediatric Thyroid Cancer, Healio, features Ron Newfield, M.D.
- Clinic Helps San Diego Transgender Youth, KPBS, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D. and Ron Newfield, M.D.
- Depression in Transgender Youth Eases with Recognition, Treatment, PsychCentral.com, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- Team Finds High Need for Treatment of Transgender Youth, Medical Xpress, features Maja Marinkovic, M.D.
- UCSD Study Finds Root Cause of Type 2 Diabetes, nbcsandiego.com
- Type 1 Terror: There’s No Cure and No Way to Prevent It, sandiegoreader.com, features Michael Gottschalk, M.D., Ph.D.
- Higher Intake of Yogurt Linked to Lower Risk of Type 2 Diabetes, Medical News Today
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. To make a donation, click here.