The Heart Institute is actively involved in clinical research to improve the care of children with congenital heart defects.
- The Heart Institute is a participating center in a large Pediatric Heart Network trial, the Fontan Udenafil Longitudinal Trial (FUEL) and FUEL OLE (Open Label Extension). Researchers hope to learn whether children who have had a Fontan operation can improve their ability to exercise by taking Udenafil.
- The Institute is a participating center in the Pediatric Heart Failure study evaluating the safety and efficacy of the drug LCZ696 (Entresto: Valsartan-Sacubitril).
- Several physicians from the Heart Institute, in collaboration with the UC San Diego Bioengineering Department, are investigating cardiovascular flow dynamics, ventricular electro-mechanics and ventricular remodeling. Notably, they are developing a unique web-accessible database of congenital heart disease models as part of the National Institutes of Health-funded (R01) Cardiac Atlas Project.
- The Cardiology division has received four intramural Academic Enrichment grants thus far that support studies such as reducing unnecessary transfusions in children with cyanotic congenital heart disease, use of home monitoring of anti-coagulation, fate of liver after Fontan palliation and use of 3-D printing to create heart models to improve care of children with heart disease. Our cardiologists are involved in studies helping improve diagnosis and treatments of conditions such as catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (CPVT), long QT syndrome (LQTS) and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM).
The Heart Institute also participates in the following registry studies and quality improvement projects:
- Congenital Heart Surgeons Society’s (CHSS) ongoing multi-institutional study of outcomes and practices – Anomalous Aortic Origin of the Coronary Artery (AAOCA), Tricuspid Atresia (TA), Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction (LVOTO)
- Improving Pediatric and Adult Congenital Treatment (IMPACT) Registry
- Interagency Registry for Mechanically Assisted Circulatory Support (Pedimacs/Intermacs)
- Society for Thoracic Surgery (STS) – Congenital Heart Surgery Database
- Congenital Cardiac Catheterization Project on Outcomes (C3PO) Registry
- Pediatric Heart Transplant Society (PHTS) Registry
- International Pediatric Heart Failure Registry (iPHFR)
- CPVT Registry and Bio Banking (CPVT)
- Pediatric Critical Care Consortium (PC4)
- National Pediatric Cardiology – Quality Improvement Collaborative (NPC-QIC)