A new idea. A different approach. A better solution. From the research lab to the bedside, Rady Children’s brings a passion for innovation to every moment, always striving for excellence, always seeking to advance. Never forgetting that kids come first.
An MRI machine that lets kids watch a movie while being scanned is housed at our Acute Care Pavilion. We are the only hospital in San Diego with this innovative technology. To make the process even more kid-friendly, the entire MRI suite – including the MRI itself – is decorated in a cartoon sea creature theme. Learn more in the video below.
Innovations in Care
- 360 Sports Medicine, the only program serving San Diego and Imperial counties to provide 360 degrees of care — from preventing and treating injuries to helping improve the performance of young athletes.
- A state-of-the-art Orthopedic and Scoliosis Center and a new Rehabilitation Medicine Center in one central location, under one roof, allowing for seamless care.
- An Acute Cardiac Unit, providing specialized care for heart patients after surgery and other heart procedures.
Innovations in Technology
- A groundbreaking orthopedic X-ray machine called EOS that produces highly detailed head-to-toe images using significantly less radiation than a standard X-ray.
- An amazing EEG “tattoo,” a stamp-sized patch of tiny circuits, sensors and wireless transmitters to detect seizures in infants. (Currently being tested)
- Proton therapy (through a partnership with Scripps Health), a highly advanced treatment that targets brain, spinal cord and others cancers with incredible precision.
- Telemedicine robots that allow doctors to examine patients from anywhere.
Innovations in Research
- Research by our Allergy/Immunology and Gastroenterology Divisions that has led to the development of a novel treatment for eosinophilic esophagitis, a painful throat disorder.
- Advanced stem cell research for diabetes and pediatric liver disease.
- Genomics and systems medicine research to identify diseases and provide personalized therapies. Learn about our plans for the Rady Genomics and Systems Medicine Institute.
It’s about saving lives … in our region, across the country and around the world.