The Division of Neurosurgery of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego provides pre-operative evaluation, surgical intervention, and pre-operative and post-operative care for disorders of the brain, spine, calvarial vault, and peripheral nerves. Areas of expertise include the treatment of hydrocephalus, brain and spinal cord tumors, cerebrovascular malformations, peripheral nerve and brachial plexus injuries, craniofacial disorders, and traumatic injuries.
For the fifth consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranks our Neurosurgery program among the nation’s best its “Best Children’s Hospitals” edition.
The Division performs more than 600 surgeries a year, including brain tumor surgery, spinal cord tumor surgery, cerebrovascular spinal fluid diversion or shunting procedures, craniofacial procedures, epilepsy surgery, and surgery for congenital abnormalities. We also offer a safe and highly successful surgery for hyperhidrosis, a condition marked by excessive sweating,
Whenever possible, minimally invasive procedures are used, with the assistance of highly advanced technology. We are the only children’s hospital using three-dimensional endoscopy for complex surgical approaches. Infrared and virtual technologies, along with 3D endoscopes, are used in performing minimally invasive procedures to remove brain tumors. Three-dimensional applications of magnetic resonance (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) imaging help our surgeons in performing complex craniofacial reconstructions.
The Division continues to offer tertiary-care services for complex cases, including cerebrovascular disease, skull-base surgery, and minimally invasive endoscopic approaches.
- Is internationally known for craniofacial surgery, genetics and dysmorphology, neurological surgery, bone biology and research, and information technology.
- Developed innovative technology to facilitate neurosurgical procedures, including a head-mounted display that provides a high-resolution visual field and an endoscopic stylet to increase the safety of catheter placement in complex hydrocephalus.
- Developed advanced procedures, including 3D endoscopic-assisted approaches for complex craniofacial, cerebrovascular, and brain tumor surgeries.
- Developed biologic waxes and laser-assisted closure techniques to minimize the post-operative complications of leakage and infection.
- Developed a computerized system for neurosurgical intraoperative visualization that integrates real and virtual image modalities.
In the News
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. To make a donation, click here.