Video Visits (Telemedicine)
Rady Children’s is committed to safely meeting the health care needs of all children in our community and protecting everyone from exposure to COVID-19. In addition to select on-site visits, we are now offering video (telemedicine) visits from your computer or mobile device. Telemedicine visits are convenient, effective, safe and available for many of the services we offer. For more information, please contact us. Learn more.
Our new walk-in Orthopedic Injury Clinic will see patients with any orthopedic injury during the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more.
The nationally ranked Orthopedics & Scoliosis Center of Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego focuses on the unique musculoskeletal needs of growing children and adolescents. Expert care is provided by the Division of Orthopedics & Scoliosis of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego. Our renowned pediatric orthopedic specialists treat the full range of orthopedic disorders and conditions, including traumatic injuries.
At our state-of-the-art facility, all orthopedic and rehabilitation medicine services are in one central location, under one roof: the 20,000-square-foot space houses 34 exam rooms, two cast rooms, kid-friendly X-ray suites, the groundbreaking EOS orthopedic imaging system, which provides significantly less radiation exposure than standard X-rays, a rehabilitation assessment room and a spacious reception area.
As part of our comprehensive services, we offer various specialty programs and clinics, including the Spine Center, International Center for Hip Disorders, Cerebral Palsy Center and 360 Sports Medicine. For our full list of clinics and programs, click here.
Our center is also a leader in innovative and cutting-edge research. Research investigating common congenital deformities of the spine and complex joints — while exploring novel methods of fracture fixation and surgical correction — occurs at the Orthopedic Biomechanics Research Center. Clinical studies are conducted on site at our Clinical Research Centers.
- Burt Yaszay, M.D., and a team of researchers (including Tracey P. Bastrom, M.A., Salil Upasani, M.D., and Peter Newton, M.D.) received the 2018 Russell A. Hibbs Best Clinical Research Paper Award from the Scoliosis Research Society. Learn more.
- Peter Newton, M.D., is the current president (2018-19) of the Scoliosis Research Society.
- Kathleen Rickert, M.D., and Division members received the award for best video presentation at the 2018 annual AAOS meeting.
- Dennis Wenger, M.D., and Division members are the editors of the 4th edition of “Rang’s Children’s Fractures.”
- Peter Newton, M.D., is a recipient of the Scoliosis Research Society’s 2017 Whitecloud Award. He received the clinical award for his paper “Two-Year Outcomes of Spinal Growth Tethering vs. Posterior Spinal Fusion for Scoliosis Flexibility vs. Reliability.”
- Rady Children’s Hospital Gains in National Rankings, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Peter Newton, M.D.
- Dennis Wenger, M.D., is the recipient of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA) 2016 Distinguished Achievement Award, given to a surgeon who has made important contributions to the field of children’s orthopedics.
- Salil Upasani, M.D., is the recipient of the POSNA 2016 St. Giles Young Investigator Award, given to a leading young researcher in the field of pediatric orthopedics.
- The Center is a leader in spinal growth tethering surgery, a new procedure to correct scoliosis.
- The Center was first in the nation to implant magnetic growing rods in scoliosis patients. Read the news release and story in U-T San Diego.
- The Center was the first pediatric program in the nation to install a groundbreaking orthopedic imaging system that provides significantly less radiation exposure than standard X-rays. Learn about the EOS Orthopedic Imaging System.
- The Center has more orthopedic specialists than any pediatric orthopedics program in California.
- The Center trains the best and brightest physicians through its Pediatric Orthopedics and Scoliosis Fellowship.
Video: Learn about our top-ranked Orthopedics & Scoliosis program
In the News
- Rady Children’s Saves Young Dancer’s Dreams, cbs8.com, features Salil Upasani, M.D.
- Teen Bitten by Shark Throws First Pitch at Padres Game, 10news.com, features Salil Upasani, M.D.
- Children Spinal Health: Avoid Back Pain and Injuries from Heavy Backpacks, kusi.com, Peter Newton, M.D.
- Surgeons Are Using 3-D Printed Organs to Figure out the Best Way to Operate, Washington Post, features Salil Upasani, M.D.
- 20+ Spine Surgeons Focused on Scoliosis, Becker’s Orthopedic & Spine, features Peter Newton, M.D.
- Obese Patients at Greater Risk for Infection after Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Correction, Healio, features Peter Newton, M.D.
- EOS Imaging Introduces Personalized Biomechanical Simulation in Spine Surgery Planning, Business Wire, mentions Salil Upasani, M.D.
- Engineers Harness the Power of 3-D Printing to Help Train Surgeons, Shorten Surgery Times, Science Daily, features Salil Upasani, M.D.
- Scoliosis Research Society Names Dr. Peter Newton Whitecloud Award Winner, Becker’s Orthopedic & Spine, features Peter Newton, M.D.
- K2M Hosts Leading Spine Surgeons at the 2016 Meeting of Minds™, GlobeNewswire, features Peter Newton, M.D.
- EOS Receives FDA Approval for Online 3-D Imaging Software, Spine EOS, DOTmed, features Peter Newton, M.D.
- Little League Players and Big League Injuries, cbs8.com, features Andrew Pennock, M.D.
- Local Teen Helps to Provide Service Dogs to Patients, sandiego6.com, features Scott Mubarak, M.D.
- Peter Newton, M.D., on KUSI (Facebook)
- Rady Children’s Ranked Among Nations Best in All 10 Specialties; #2 in Orthopedics, San Diego Union-Tribune, features Dennis Wenger, M.D., Scott Mubarak, M.D., and Peter Newton, M.D.
- Top Pediatric Orthopedic Hospital Installs EOS Imaging, Business Wire, features Peter Newton, M.D.
- Spinal System Receives FDA Approval, Today’s Medical Developments, features Burt Yaszay, M.D.
- Stair Falls: Caregiver’s “Missed Step” as a Source of Childhood Fractures, Journal of Children’s Orthopaedics, features Andrew Pennock, M.D., and Scott Mubarak, M.D.
- San Diego Tries New Scoliosis Treatment on 2 Boys, U-T San Diego, features Burt Yaszay, M.D.
- Weighing the Treatment Options for Scoliosis, The Wall Street Journal, features Peter Newton, M.D.
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. To make a donation, click here.