Imagine an itch so intense you have to wear mittens to keep from scratching and hurting yourself. Think about a baby born with a disfiguring birthmark and the emotional toll that takes on the parent. Picture yourself in a doctor’s office and learning that your child has a life-threatening tumor.
Here at the Division of Pediatric and Adolescent Dermatology of Rady Children’s Specialists of San Diego, these are the children and families we care for. Our patients have a wide range of dermatological conditions, including eczema, acne and other inflammatory skin disorders; severe and deforming birthmarks; disfiguring scars; and skin cancer.
Through providing the latest medical and surgical therapies, using state-of-the-art technology, and conducting research on the most promising therapies, we strive to help our young patients put their best face forward.
- Has been instrumental in developing the first detailed, evidence-based clinical guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric acne.
- Named a Sturge-Weber Foundation Center of Excellence.
- Established the first comprehensive Eczema and Inflammatory Skin Disease Center for treating eczematous dermatitis, psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Launched the Vascular Lesion and Birthmark Center to treat deforming skin lesions, including hemangiomas, using advanced technology and cutting-edge treatments.
- Conducts more clinical trials than any pediatric dermatology program in the country.
- Trains the best and brightest dermatology specialists through our fellowship programs.
- Received the American Academy of Dermatology Gold Triangle Award for excellence in public health education.
In the News
- New Guideline Primes San Diego Pediatricians for Peanuts, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D., and Michael Welch, M.D.
- Advances in Pediatric Inflammatory Skin Disease, Dermatology Times, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- The Benefits of Crisaborole for the Quality of Life of Patients with Atopic Dermatitis and Their Caregivers, AJMC.com, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- Appreciating the Role of Microbial Communities on the Skin, Dermatology Times, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- Merger to Boost Eczema Offerings, ModernMedicine, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- Novan to Present Phase 2b Results with SB204 at 7th Annual Meeting of AAD, PharmiWeb, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- Antibiotic Resistance Matters, Dermatology Times, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- Kids With Psoriasis May Be at Higher Risk for Developing Heart Disease and Diabetes, Study Finds, National Psoriasis Foundation, features Wynnis Tom, M.D
- Melatonin Might Help Sleepless Kids with Eczema, Web MD, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D
- Rosacea Caused Half by Nature, Half by Lifestyle, U.S. News & World Report, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- Head Lice Are Getting Tougher to Treat, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- Pediatric Trials for Atopic Dermatitis Systemic Treatments, Dermatology Times, features Lawrence Einchenfield, M.D.
- FDA Advisory Committee: Severe Need for Pediatric Studies in AD, Infectious Diseases in Children, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- FDA Committee Agrees on Need for Pediatric Studies on Atopic Dermatitis, Healio, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.
- MRSA, Tropical Infections Rising, Dermatology Times, features Sheila Friedlander, M.D.
- Kids are Getting Acne Younger than Ever, Doctors Say, USA Today, features Lawrence Eichenfield, M.D.