Dry skin and sweating due to excessive evaporation of water from the skin are common triggers for eczema. Climatic changes in temperature or humidity can also trigger this skin disease. Skin moisturization and avoiding things that make the skin dry are critical for effective management.
Caring for Dry Skin
- Bathe/shower daily or every other day
- Water should be warm (not hot) and bath time should be limited to 10 minutes
- Pat dry the skin after bathing and immediately apply moisturizer while skin in slightly damp. This seals off water on the skin
- Use a cream or ointment (thicker the moisturizer, the better the barrier with ointments as the most effective, however greasy and sometimes uncomfortable.
- Do not apply perfumes
- Use fragrance-free mild detergents