Know the location of the emergency room closest to your home. If an emergency occurs, Rady Children’s HomeCare will make every effort to communicate with you and your family. If your telephone does not work and your child needs medicine, supplies or other medical attention, go to the nearest emergency room for help. Your local fire department is a good resource in an emergency if you cannot make it to the nearest emergency room.
Every home should have a Home Emergency Kit that is readily available for an emergency.
The Home Emergency Kit should include:
- Enough water and non-perishable food for three days per person. Store at least 1 gallon of water per person and pet per day. Include at least one week’s supply of medications and special foods for infants or those on special diets.
- A first aid kit.
- A battery-operated radio, flashlight, blankets and a fire extinguisher.
- Tools to turn off gas and water.
Being prepared before an emergency can prevent injuries:
- Identify an exit route from each room of the house. In an evacuation, disconnect non-life supportive homecare equipment (Example: infusion pump, monitor).
- Remove equipment and furniture from hallways and exit routes.
- Teach all capable household members how to turn off gas, electricity and water.
- If possible, secure all heavy furniture and/or equipment to a supportive wall stud.
Should an emergency occur:
- Check for injuries, administer first aid, then attempt to notify authorities if medical attention is required.
- Check for gas, water and electricity leaks and turn off as appropriate.
- Turn on a battery-operated radio.
- Check in with the neighbors.
If you must evacuate:
Take all your medications and medical equipment with you. Notify Rady Children’s HomeCare at the first available opportunity of where you will stay. We will work with you to arrange the safe delivery of medications, supplies and care.
San Diego County Fire Departments
Orange County Fire Departments
Imperial County Fire Departments
Riverside County Fire Departments
Location of Emergency Rooms
Gis.oshpd.ca.gov/atlas/places/list-of-hospital/county (Enter county: San Diego, Imperial, Riverside, Orange)