The Division of Neurology cares for infants, children and adolescents with conditions of the nervous system. The nervous system includes the brain, spinal cord and neuromuscular system.
Diagnosing and treating neurological disorders and injuries to the nervous system requires a team of dedicated specialists, with access to advanced technology. Our team is experienced in caring for patients with a variety of common general neurology conditions. In addition, we offer subspecialty clinic services, including a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center and Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center. We are also proud to provide multidisciplinary clinics for Rett syndrome, Angelman syndrome, tuberous sclerosis complex, Tic/tourette syndrome, neuro-oncology and neuromuscular disorders.
In addition to excellent patient care, research and education are priorities for our division. We endeavor to train the next generation of neurologists while also contributing to the science of diagnosing and treating newly discovered neurological conditions and those that have limited treatment options currently available. Learn about our residency program.
- Consistently ranked as a top pediatric program by U.S. News & World Report.
- Rady Children’s is recognized as a Rettsyndrome.org Clinical Center for Excellence for its research and treatment of families affected by Rett syndrome.
- Our Comprehensive Epilepsy Center has level 4 accreditation from the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
- We are one of the few pediatric hospitals in the country that provides transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)
- We are one of two U.S. sites for the International Working Group on Neurotransmitter Related Disorders Registry.
- The Multidisciplinary Neuromuscular Clinic, led by Dr. Chamindra Konersman, provides state-of-the-art care for spinal muscular atrophy with the use of Spinraza and Zolgensma and is a designated Care Center in San Diego by CureSMA. (Rady Children’s has the largest cohort of treated SMA patients in San Diego.)
- Our Tuberous Sclerosis Complex Clinic is designated as a Comprehensive Tuberous Sclerosis Clinic by the Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance.
- Doris Trauner, M.D., received the Roger and Mary Brumback Lifetime Achievement Award from the Child Neurology Society in 2016.
Video: Dr. John Crawford discusses our top-ranked Neurology program
In the News
- Genomic Sequencing Giving Precise Diagnosis, cbs8.com, features Jennifer Friedman, M.D.
- San Diego Lab Helps Families Dealing with Exceedingly Rare Diseases, KPBS, features Jennifer Friedman, M.D.
- New Gift Broadens Reach of Rady’s Genetics Institute, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features John Crawford, M.D., M.S.
- Gene Mutation Didn’t Slow Down High School Senior, Los Angeles Times, features Jennifer Friedman, M.D.
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. To make a donation, click here.