Rady Children’s Multidisciplinary Neuro-Oncology Program is the only program in the San Diego region providing comprehensive care to children and young adults with brain and spinal cord tumors. We care for more than 500 children with newly diagnosed or previously treated central nervous system tumors and are one of the highest-volume programs in California.
State-of-the-art treatment is provided for both newly diagnosed and recurrent tumors. Advanced neurosurgery procedures, targeted radiation oncology and the latest biologic therapies are available to our patients through our alliance with the UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center and research collaborations with the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute and The Scripps Research Institute.
Proton therapy is available at California Protons Cancer Therapy Center, one of only a handful of proton beam centers on the West Coast. Patients here in San Diego and those referred from out of the area will be followed by our Neuro-Oncology team during their treatment.
Our program has also partnered with Rady Children’s Institute for Genomic Medicine to assist in both the diagnosis and management of children with central nervous system tumors. This involves using the Institute’s rapid whole genome sequencing platform and other molecular profiling technologies to detect novel mutations and pathways involved in tumor growth. Through a multidisciplinary Molecular Tumor Board, patients who meet various criteria are recommended for advanced molecular testing.
Research and Clinical Trials
Through our alliance with the UC San Diego Moores Cancer and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and participation in collaborative clinical trials groups, we have an active research program to discover better treatments and ultimately, find cures. Click here for our active clinical trials.
In the News
- Strangers Send Words of Encouragement to Siblings Fighting Brain Cancer, 10news.com, features Rady Children’s patients
- A Brain Tumor Won’t Stop Me, FloGymnastics, features former patient Juliana Abraham.
- Brain Cancer Replaces Leukemia as Top Cancer Killer of Kids, nbcsandiego.com, features John Crawford, M.D., M.S.
- New Gift Broadens Reach of Rady’s Genetics Institute, The San Diego Union-Tribune, features John Crawford, M.D., M.S.
- Genomic Profiling Informs Pediatric Glioma Treatment, Business Wire, features John Crawford, M.D., M.S.
Support Our Program
One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift benefits Rady Children’s. To make a donation, click here.